Saturday, December 4, 2010

Lupus Holiday Stress Busters

For lupus survivors it is always a challenge to engage fully in the holiday festivities surrounding this time of year. Most parties are in the evening which makes it difficult for those who are ready to curl up with a heating pad by 8:00 p.m. and many who have cataracts from steroids. I have a hard time seeing to drive at night. I will not go further than a few miles and stay on roads which I am familiar if driving at night. The light coming at me from other cars makes it difficult to see due to cataracts and early signs of macular degeneration. So then I try to explain to my loved ones early on that brunch and lunch celebrations are much better for me. I actually love brunch. You can sleep in and take your time defrosting your limbs-joints then drive over to a friends for a lazy brunch and home in time for an afternoon nap. Now that is a holiday!

For those who have challenges with finances and the added stress of expectations; I recommend you step out of the stress zone. It took me years and years to jump off the stress train. It hurt at first but then change is never comfortable. People could not quite relate to an email Holiday card or a pre-typed letter. Now everyone send e-cards. Then there is the lack of funds for presents. I began making my gifts years ago and it became so much fun that I plan months in advance by preparing foods, preserving herbal oils and vinegars, making tinctures and smudge sticks, Douglas has made tree decorations and magnets and we usually make our own music CD. These are simple pleasures and easy to make all season long. I store all my gifts and treasures in a closet and collect recycled/re-purposed items for wrapping. I also re-purpose cards FYI. Then when the season appears I do not feel the stress and never have to shop except for stocking stuffers which can be bought at our co-op or health food store. Trader Joes is another great place for little stuffers and food items to fit any budget. FYI this is our time of year to buy new chap stick, deodorant, tooth brushes, socks, underwear, lotions and potions. As a child I used to get frustrated with opening a stocking full of hygiene items and underpants but I now look forward to it. It feels like a fresh start. It truly is a simple life. I find that all I need are the basics and lots of LOVE! is that not what Christmas is all about?

No comments: